Through the partnership with Monash University, students undertaking studies in health and related courses will have the opportunity for clinical placements at Berwick Healthcare. In addition, both organisations are very keen to collaborate in research and professional development programs, providing further support for the development of the health workforce in the region
b. Medical Students
d. Advanced Education & Mentoring
Berwick Healthcare Monash Medical 4th Year Student Testimonials
'Berwick Healthcare was an amazing clinic for our placement as medical students. All of the staff at the clinic were always welcoming and willing to help in any way they could. Dr Tony Atkins and Dr Chris Koslovski are wonderful doctors with years of experience and a passion for teaching. They allowed us to undertake parallel consulting as well as observe their own consultations, which enabled us to practice and refine our consulting techniques. Over 9 weeks, we developed skills and gained knowledge that would have been impossible to learn from a text book. Having the ability to sit in on team meetings, and clinical visits from professional training specialists exposed us to a field of medicine that we are not taught in medical school. Furthermore, having the opportunity to work with Mel, the clinic nurse, gave us invaluable insight into immunisation protocols, wound dressings, health assessments and much more. There was never a dull moment at the clinic, and the passionate staff ensured that we were always kept busy and entertained. We are extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to learn in such a wonderful setting and will never forget our time with Berwick Healthcare.'
'One fourth year rotation for Monash medical students is in General Practice. The GP faculty sends out around 70 students to metropolitan Melbourne GP clinics and 1-2 per rotation will be at Berwick Healthcare. Students are allocated to clinics by proximity to their living arrangements. Medical students attend the clinic on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Nursing students from Monash and Chisholm also rotate through the clinic.'
EV GP Training (EV) is regarded as an industry-leading innovator in the provision of general practice education and training. EV is staffed by well regarded, experienced medical educators and offers exceptionally diverse educational programs. The Education Enhancement Program, which is new to Australia, has been based on world’s best practice and has proven extremely effective in identifying and addressing clinical and professional issues. The Education Enhancement Program is based at Berwick Healthcare in Berwick, Victoria, where a purpose built facility enables discreet observation of doctors in a secure patient setting.
The Education Enhancement Program
- Is under the direction of a senior medical educator experienced in the field of educational enhancement.
- Is delivered in a modern well equipped centre.
- Uses evidence
- Is conducted in a confidential, sensitive and supportive manner.
- Accepts referrals from any organisation that has concerns regarding the clinical skills and performance of a particular doctor.
- Provides thorough assessment of the concerns relating to the referred doctor.
- Provides appropriate feedback to the referred doctor, including recommendations for change and formulation of an educational plan.
- Provides a written report, in a timely manner, to the referring body or organisation.
- Is able to provide individualised educational interventions based on the specific problems identified.
- Is able to provide ongoing assessment of progress.
In addition to clarifying and addressing clinical issues of concern, the Education Enhancement Program is ideally placed to enhance the learning of supervisors and medical educators as well as registrars who are excelling.
For more information, contact:
Dr George Zaharias
Education Enhancement Program Director
(03) 9822 1100